The E. Ingraham Clock Company
The E. Ingraham Company was founded by Elias Ingraham. He served a five-year apprenticeship with Daniel Dewey as a cabinet-maker. He went to work for George Mitchell in 1828. Mitchell was a wise business man in Bristol, Connecticut and wanted a worker who was creative and could produce new case styles. Ingraham succeded in this task and earned the reputation of being an innovative man in the clock trade. He designed an exotic case with mahogany columns, paw feet, turned rosetts, and carved baskets of fruit.

Triple Decker

In 1830 Ingraham went to work for Chauncey and Lawson C. Ives to design cases for their clocks. One of his cases, which could accommodate a long drop of weights, was a triple-decker. In the three years that followed, ingraham made almost six thousand cases for Chauncey and Lawson C. Ives.

During the next ten years, ingraham made clock cases, chairs, and mirrors. He helped design a Gothic case, named a steeple clock, which became extremely popular. These smaller clocks rapidly replaced the large Empire-style cases.

In the mid-1840s, Ingranham formed a partnership called Brewster and Ingraham. Members of the clockmaking company were Elisha Brewster and the Ingraham brothers, Elias and Andrew. The ingraham Company, with its various name changes and partners, became one of the world's largest clockmakers.

In 1855, the Ingraham factory in Bristol burned, resulting in the loss of about thirty thousand dollars. Elias Ingraham formed a new company when he made his son Edward a partner in 1857. They used the name E. Ingraham & Company from 1861 until 1880. In 1881, they added the word "The" to the name to make it The E. Ingraham & Company. The name stayed as such until 1884, when "&" was dropped to make it simply, The E. Ingraham Company. During this period, the company manufactured clocks with black-painted or japanned cases. More than two hundred different models were built.

Kitchenette shelf clock 1930

From 1914 until 1942, some of the company's products included non-jeweled pocket watches, wrist watches, eight-day lever movement clocks, electric clocks, and pendulum clocks.

The company was sold to McGraw-Edison in 1967 and clockmaking ceased in Bristol.

The clocks displayed on this page are part of the Conger Street Collection