The William L. Gilbert Clock Company
In 1828 George Marsh and William Lewis Gilbert purchased a clock shop. They named their clock shop Marsh, Gilbert & Company. The shop was soon at work in Bristol and Farmington, Connecticut. In 1837 John Birge joined Gilbert and the company name became Birge, Gilbert & Company. They made Empire-style shelf clocks. From 1839 to 1840 the company was known as Jerome, Grant, Gilbert & Company. Clockmakers Zelotas Grant, Chauncey and Noble Jerome bacame partners with Gilbert to create Jerome's inexpensive brass movement clocks.

circa 1860 Gilbert Ogee Shelf Clock

In 1841 Gilbert and Lucius Clarke acquired a clock factory in Winsted, Connecticut. Later the name was changed to Winchester. Ezra Baldwin was a member of this company for a time.

circa 1880 Gilbert Shelf Clock

From 1841 to 1845 Clarke, Gilbert & Company produced inexpensive brass clocks. In 1845 William Lewis Gilbert purchased Clarke's share of the company, but three years later, Clarke bought his shares back. The partnership lasted until 1851. The company name became W.L. Gilbert & Company until 1866 when the Gilbert Manufacturing Company was established. In 1871 the Winsted (or Winchester) factory burned down. Gilbert was not a quitter; he formed the William L. Gilbert Clock Company that same year. Gilbert died in 1890, but the company name was retained for sixty-three years.

circa 1880 Gilbert Shelf Clock

George B. Owen managed the company from 1880 until about 1900. Despite financial problems from 1934 until 1957, the company remained active as the William L. Gilbert Clock Corporation.

circa 1900 Gilbert Mantel Clock

During World War II, clock production was limited because the war effort required metal. The clock company was allowed to manufacture papier-mach'e case alarm clocks rather than metal clocks. The clocks enabled workers to get to their war-related jobs on time.

circa 1908 Gilbert Statue Clock

When the General Computing Company took over the Gilbert Company, the name was changed to General-Gilbert Corporation.

circa 1935 Gilbert Advertisement Clock

By 1964, the company clock division was no longer profitable. Spartus Corporation of Chicago and Louisville, Mississippi purchased the company.

The clocks displayed on this page are part of the Conger Street Collection